|Qld projects won't threaten reef|
|Thursday, 21 June 2012 14:19|
The Queensland government insists the Great Barrier Reef is not under threat from future development proposals, despite a United Nations report to the contrary.
The report says the reef could be listed as a World Heritage site in danger unless high-risk coastal developments including new ports are shelved.
The assessment, by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO), says the scale of coastal development - including 35 new development proposals awaiting determination by 2013 - represents a significant threat.
And the scale and pace of development proposals seem "beyond the capacity for independent, quality and transparent decision making," it says.
Deputy Premier Jeff Seeney says that since UNESCO sent a monitoring mission to Australia earlier this year, the government has pulled a number of projects that would have affected the reef.
They include the planned expansion of the Abbot Point coal terminal in central Queensland and reducing the number of coal to port railways by four.
Mr Seeney, who is also the state development minister, said the government would not shy away from protecting the reef but would not walk away from growing the economy.
"What this government will do ... is ensure that development necessary to support that prosperity occurs in a planned, responsible and balanced way, always ensuring that the environment is considered, protected and cared for," he told parliament on Thursday.
"It (the reef) will certainly be under no threat from any future development proposals that this government may consider.
For the latest news click here
For the latest Drive features click here
For the latest Travel features click here
For the latest Food & Drink features click here
Follow myresources.com.au on Twitter